Someone you loved has died. You are beginning a journey that is often frightening, painful and sometimes lonely. No words, written or spoken, can take away the pain you now feel.
The following organizations are additional sources of information, education and referral that may bring you some comfort and encouragement as you make a commitment to help yourself heal.
Funerals and Related Matters – National Organizations and Support Resources
National Self-Help Organizations and Support Groups
- AARP, Widowed Person’s Services – Independent branches of this organization can be found by searching online for Widowed Persons Services and the name of your town and state.
- American Association of Suicidology –Information and resources; referrals to suicide survivor groups
- Center for Loss and Life Transition – Resources, education and training, and referral for bereaved families; provides certificate program in Death and Grief studies for bereavement professionals
- The Compassionate Friends –Information and resources for bereaved families who have experienced the death of a child
- The Dougy Center – Information, education, referral and support for children and families; publishes a national directory of support programs for bereaved children
- Share – Pregnancy and infant loss support
- Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD) – Education, resources and advocacy for bereaved families
- Parents of Murdered Children, Inc – Information, resources and support for bereaved families
- National Institute of Mental Health Public Inquiries – Education and publications for families and professionals